A multidisciplinary team was formed headed
by Dr. Abdullah Al Rabeeah, in order to plan the work-up and
management of Talia and Taleen. The team held their first
official meeting on Wednesday, 24 September 2003 at 4:00pm.
The following tests were arranged:
- Blood work to assess the function of blood,
kidneys and liver.
- Testing skin; mouth and nose for bacteria
- Assessment of the heart by Eccho (ultrasound)
- Total body x-ray.
- Ultrasound for liver, kidneys, genitalia,
and abdominal blood vessels.
- C-T Scan of chest and abdomen.
During the meeting of the multidisciplinary
team, the following results were determined:
- The twin are joined at the lower chest
- The lower sternum and ribs are joined.
- There are two separate hearts, but there
may be a small joining of the pericardium (covering of the
heart). However, Taleen has a defect between the ventricles
of her heart (VSD).
- The twin share a liver.
- There is only one umbilicus.
- The abdominal cavity is shared, but the
bowels appear separate.
- The pelvis and lower limbs are separate.
In addition, the multidisciplinary team decided
- Talia and Taleen are potentially
- The rehearsal operation will be done
on Tuesday, 30 September 2003.
- The operation to separate Talia and Taleen
will be on Saturday, 04 October 2003 at 7:30am.
The operation will be live via the
Internet. National and international media will cover and
broadcast the operation.